Vegan Miso Mushroom & Asparagus Farro Risotto
Cook and Prep Time: 45-55 minutes
• 1 bunch Asparagus, cut into 1-inch long pieces
• 2 cups Shitake Mushrooms, sliced
• 7-8 cloves Garlic, minced
• 1 Yellow Onion, diced
• 1 cup Frozen Peas
• 1 15 oz. can Cannellini Beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 cup Farro
• ½ cup White Wine (or Vegetable Stock)
• Salt & Pepper, to taste
• Vegetable Stock or Olive Oil, for sautéing
• Chopper Parsley, for garnish
For the Miso Broth
• ½ cup Miso Paste
• 4 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Make the miso broth by bringing the vegetable stock to a simmer. Once simmering, scoop out about 1 cup of the liquid. Add the miso paste to the vegetable stock (or water), and whisk until the miso has dissolved and is fully incorporated. Then, pour the mixture back into your pot with the rest of the vegetable stock, and stir to combine.
- Set a large rimmed skillet to medium heat. Then, add the asparagus and onions, and sauté for 5 minutes. Then, add mushrooms and garlic, and sauté for 2 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Season to taste, and then set the vegetables aside in a bowl until later.
- Return you skillet to medium heat, and then add your farro. Add the white wine, and cook until the wine has been absorbed, 2-3 minutes.
- Then, begin to ladle miso broth over the farro, about ½ cup at a time. Add more miso broth as needed, until the farro is al dente, 25-30 minutes. Stir frequently to create a creamier texture.
- Set heat to low, and stir in the peas and cannellini beans. Then, add your asparagus and mushrooms from earlier (you can reserve a few for serving.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and nutritional yeast. Enjoy!