Pad Thai is an almost universal take-out staple. It was one of my favorites too!
So, it got me thinking: can we make a healthy, WFPB version of it?
Well, this is what came out! Enjoy!
Vegan Pad Thai
Cook and Prep Time: 35 minutes
- 8 oz. Rice Noodles
- 1 head Broccoli, stems removed, chopped
- 1-inch piece Ginger, grated
- 1 White Onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Bell Pepper, thinly sliced
- 8-10 oz. Edamame
- 1 Carrot, shredded
- 1 bunch Scallion Whites, thinly sliced
For the sauce:
- 2 tbsp. Tamari
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Nectar or Maple Syrup
- 1 Lime, juiced
- 1 tbsp. Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp. Arrowroot Powder
- 1 tbsp. Water
- 1 tsp. Sriracha (optional)
Toppings (choose your favorite)
- 1 Thai Chili Pepper, sliced
- 1 small Avocado, sliced
- Sesame Seeds
- Chopped Cilantro, for garnish
- Scallion Greens, for garnish
- Toasted Peanuts or Cashews
- Sriracha or Sambal Oelek
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Stock, for sautéing
- Lime Wedges
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. In a bowl, whisk together all the sauce ingredients until evenly combined.
- Cook the noodles according to package instructions.
- In a large frying pan or wok, set to medium heat and add 1 tsp. olive oil. Once hot, add garlic, onion, ginger, and scallion whites stirring frequently to avoid burning. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add broccoli, stir to combine. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until slightly softened. Then, add carrots and bell pepper, and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Then, add half of the sauce, and toss to combine, and all ingredients are evenly coated.
- Add edamame, noodles, and the rest of the sauce. Stir until everything is coated evenly, 1-2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately. Distribute Pad Thai evenly amongst serving plates. Garnish with desired toppings. Enjoy!