Warm and cozy is how I would describe this soup!
Plus, if you like mushrooms, I think this really highlights the flavor!
Such a deep, rich flavor can be developed so quickly with seasonal herbs and spices, and this makes for fantastic lunch or dinner!
Today, I used cremini mushrooms, but you can feel free to mix and match any mushrooms you like!
I also added black beans here to add a little bit more protein, fiber, and healthy carbohydrates to this soup.
In effect, this makes the soup a one-pot meal if you so choose. A dream for many home cooks like myself!
You can also serve this up with some brown rice, quiona, or other whole grain along with some roasted veg or a salad.
Black Bean and Mushroom Soup
Cook and Prep Time: 30 minutes
- 1 28 oz. can Black Beans, rinse and drained
- 2 lbs. Cremini Mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth
- 5 oz. Coconut Yogurt
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- 3 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tsp. Dried Rosemary
- 1 tsp. Sage
- Chopped Scallion, for garnish
- Olive Oil or Vegetable Stock, for sautéing.
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a pot to medium heat. Once hot, add the onion. Cook until softened and caramelized, 5-6 minutes. Then, add garlic, and cook for 1 more minute, until fragrant. (Add vegetable stock to deglaze as needed).
- Add mushrooms, and stir to combine. Cook through until their liquid has burned off, 5-7 minutes.
- Add back beans, yogurt, and spices, and stir to combine. Then, and vegetable stock, and bring the soup to simmer. Allow soup to simmer for 5 minutes, and season to taste. Turn off the heat.
- Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth.
- Serve with chopped scallions and toasted sourdough bread. Enjoy!