When I started eating more plant-based, I quickly realized that Indian cooking is a great way to incorporate more veggies.
And I stand by this today! If you want to add more plants to your meals, google some Indian recipes!
They are packed with flavor and often times are one-pot meals, like this one! There are so many different variations, so take a look and let me know what you think!
Today, we are focusing on a quick Chana Dal with cauliflower and black rice! I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Check out the video below as well as the written recipe!
Cook and Prep Time: 45 minutes
- 2 cups Chana Dal (split chickpeas) or Split Yellow Peas
- 1 cup Shallots, chopped
- 1 head Garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp. Fresh Ginger, minced
- 4 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 1 head Cauliflower, chopped
- 4 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 5 oz. can Coconut Cream
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp. Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Cloves
- 1 tbsp. Allspice
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- 3 tbsp. Curry Powder
- 1 tbsp. Turmeric
- Olive oil
- Soak the chana dal overnight in water. Then, rinse and strain, and set aside in a bowl. Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- In a pot, add the chana dal and vegetable stock. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until tender. Add more water if needed.
- Set a larger pot to medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Then, add fenugreek seeds. Cook them for 45 seconds, until fragrant, stirring frequently to avoid burning.
- Add garlic, shallots, and ginger to the pot with the seeds, and stir to combine. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until shallots are translucent. Stir frequently. Then, add celery and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add cauliflower, and saute for 3-4 minutes, stirring to combine.
- Add chana dal (with remaining liquid) to the larger pot, and add coconut cream and spices. Stir to combine, and bring to a boil. Then, cover and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until desired consistency is reached. Season with salt and pepper.
- Plate chana dal, and serve with rice. Garnish with cilantro and scallion greens. Enjoy!