Sometimes, it’s fun to try new things.
I’ve seen vegan takes on the cheesesteak, many of which are made with meat substitutes.
So I figured “Why not give one a try with tofu?” And this is what the result was!
It doesn’t have to be complicated either, and it’s fun way to spice things up!
So if you’re looking to change things up every so often and treat yourself, this is a fun way to do it!
Tofu “Chicken Cheesesteak”
Cook and Prep Time: 35 minutes
- 2 blocks Tofu, cut into ½ inch cubed pieces
- 1 Yellow Onion, julienned
- 1 Red Bell Pepper, julienned
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, julienned
- 4-5 cloves Garlic, thinly sliced
- 8 oz. Mushrooms, chopped roughly
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil OR Vegetable Stock, for sautéing
- 2 tbsp. Arrowroot Powder
- 2 tbsp. Ground Cumin, divided into equal portions
- 2 tbsp. Garlic Powder, divided into equal portions
- 2 tbsp. Onion Powder, divided into equal portions
- 2 tbsp. Smoked Paprika, divided into equal portions
- 2x 1 tbsp. Tamari
Additional Sandwich Fixings:
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
- Fresh herbs
- Hot Sauce
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. Divide the spices equally into 2 separate bowls.
- Add the tofu to a bowl. Add 1 portion of the spice mixture, 1 tbsp. tamari, and the arrowroot powder. Toss to combine evenly.
- Cook the tofu. Set a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add the tofu. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the edges are crispy and warmed through. Season to taste. Then, remove the tofu from heat and return the pan for Step 4.
- Cook the vegetables. Set a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add the onions, peppers, and garlic. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until onion is translucent. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Then, add the mushrooms. Cook for an additional 5-7 minutes, until the mushrooms have reduced in size and the water has evaporated. Then, add the second portion of spices and tamari. Toss to coat evenly, and cook for 2-3 additional minutes. Season accordingly, if needed.
- Make the sandwiches. Add the tofu, vegetables, and favorite toppings to a baguette. Enjoy!