Lentil & Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
Cook and Prep Time: 75 minutes Serves: 6-8
- 2 cups Lentils
- 6 oz. Button Mushrooms diced
- 5-6 Sweet Potatoes chopped
- ¾ cup Dry Red Wine
- 1 large can 28 oz. Diced Tomatoes, with juices
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth or Water
- 1 bunch Carrots chopped
- 1 head Garlic minced
- 1 bunch Scallions chopped, greens and whites separated
- 1 Yellow or Red Onion diced
- Salt to taste
- Black Pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- 1 tsp. Ground Cloves
- 2 tbsp. Tamari
- 1 tbsp. Cinnamon
- 2/3 cup Oat Milk or other milk alternative, or 1 small can Coconut Cream
- Olive Oil
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. Preheat your oven to 425˚F. Fill one large pot with water.
- Add the sweet potatoes to the pot with water, and bring the water to a boil. Boil the sweet potatoes until they are fork-tender, about 20 minutes. Remove them from the water and set them in a bowl. Save until Step 5.
- Start the lentils. Set another large pot to medium heat. Add 1 tbsp. olive oil. Once hot, add garlic, scallion, and onion. Stir occasionally to avoid burning. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until onions begin to soften. Then, add red wine, carrots, and mushrooms, and bring heat to medium high. Stir occasionally, cooking for 3-4 minutes more, ensuring alcohol has burned off.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, tamari, and vegetable broth to the pot with the carrots. Add salt, pepper, garlic powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and cloves to the pot. Stir to combine and bring mixture to a boil. Once boiling, cover and reduce heat to a simmer, and allow lentils to cook, about 20 minutes, until liquid has evaporated and lentils are tender.
- Add oat milk, cinnamon, and 1 tsp. salt to bowl with the sweet potatoes. With a masher or a fork, mash them until combined evenly.
- In a deep dish, oven-friendly tray or pan, add lentil mixture and spread evenly across the bottom. Then, top with mashed sweet potatoes. Place in the oven for about 15 minutes, until sweet potatoes have slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven, and distribute among serving plates. Garnish with scallion greens. Enjoy!