This is it! The definitive guide to making a tomato sauce from scratch! All the secrets are revealed! 🍅🍅🍅
There isn’t really one way to make a great sauce, but there are some basic techniques to follow.
Once you master the basics, then a whole world of different options will open up, and you can put your own signature on a classic dish!
Classic Italian Marinara Sauce (Canned Tomatoes Variety)
Cook and Prep Time: 35 minutes
Serves: 4 people
- 1 large can Whole Tomatoes, hand-crushed
- ½ – 1 cup Pasta Water
- 1 head Garlic, sliced
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp. Onion Powder
- Red chili flakes, basil, parsley, other spices, as needed or for garnish
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Make the sauce. Set a large pot to medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Cook until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, onion powder, and garlic powder. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow sauce to cook for at least 20 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved pasta water and stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper as needed. (For a richer sauce, you can allow the sauce to simmer for 2-3 hours, adding water if needed.)
- Add 1 spoonful of sauce to the pasta and toss to combine. Distribute pasta evenly among serving bowls. Top with sauce. Garnish with fresh chopped basil leaves. Enjoy!