Plant-Based Sloppy Joes
Cook and Prep Time:30-40 minutes
- 1 cup Dry Green Lentils + 2 cups Water
- 1 White Onion, diced
- 6-8 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Red Bello Pepper, diced
- 15oz. can Tomato Sauce or Puree
- 1-2 T Maple Syrup
- 1-2 T Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 T Chili Powder
- 2-3 t Garlic Powder
- 2-3 t Onion Powder
- 1-2 t Ground Cumin
- 1-2 t Smoked Paprika
- Vegetable Stock or Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for sautéing
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Hamburger Buns, toasted
- Slice White Onion Rings
- Cabbage Slaw
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Add the lentils to a saucepan and add water. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the water has reduced. Once tender, set aside until Step 5.
- Set a large skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add the onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the tomato sauce, maple syrup, Worcestershire sauce, and spices. Stir to combine and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the lentils, and cook until the mixture has thickened and warmed through, 5-10 minutes. Season to taste.
- Serve with sliced onions and slaw on a toasted bun. Enjoy!