When I think of a perfect date night dish, vodka sauce ranks very close to the top.
After all, who doesn’t love pasta?!
Growing up, this was my absolute favorite dish!
The combination of savory, sweet, and creaminess is about as close to perfection as you can get!
But, as I’ve gotten older, and becoming more plant-based, I have put a great deal of time and effort into creating the PERFECT (in my opinion) vegan version of a vodka sauce.
That’s right. No cream. No prosciutto. No vodka. (!!!) But all the flavor.
Check out how!
Vegan Vodka Sauce
Cook and Prep Time: 60 minutes
- Cashew Cream
- 1/3 cup Cashews, soaked overnight
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1 tbsp. White Miso Paste
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 head Garlic, minced
- 1 large can (29 oz.) Crushed or Pureed Tomatoes
- Olive Oil
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. Cook your pasta according to package instructions. Then, set aside until Step 5.
- Make the cashew cream. Add ingredients to blender and pulse until smooth.
- Make the sauce. Set a large pot to medium heat. Once hot, add garlic and onion, stirring occasionally to avoid burning. Cook until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, onion powder, smoked paprika, and garlic powder. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Allow sauce to cook for at least 20 minutes before serving, stirring occasionally. You can simmer for longer for a richer flavor.
- About 5 minutes before serving, add the cashew cream and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer and allow flavors to marry. Season with salt and pepper as needed.
- Add 1 spoonful of sauce to the pasta and toss to combine. Distribute pasta evenly among serving bowls. Top with sauce. Garnish with fresh chopped basil leaves. Enjoy!