Cook and Prep Time: 50-60 minutes
Serves: 5-6 cups
- 2 Eggplants, diced (½ inch pieces)
- 1 Onion, diced
- 1 Bell Pepper, chopped
- 3 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1 head Garlic, minced
- ¾ cup Kalamata Olives, chopped
- 15 oz. Diced Tomatoes, with juices2.
- 1 small can Tomato Paste
- 2-3 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar, or to taste
- 1 tsp. Dried Oregano
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Olive oil
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a large pan or skillet to medium heat. Once hot, add 2 tbsp. olive oil. Then, add eggplant, bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic to the pan. Sauté until softened and onion is translucent, 4-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper slightly.
- Add tomato sauce, tomato paste, olives, and vinegar to pan with sautéed vegetables. Mix well, cover and reduce heat. Simmer 30 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once done, add oregano and salt & pepper if needed.
- Serve on baguette slices, crackers, or fresh bread (traditionally). You can also use this to top a salad or as a sauce for pasta. It is also used as a dip. Can be eaten warm, at room temperature, or cold. Enjoy!