Years ago, the first time I had a green salsa, my mind was blown for two reasons.
- ) I had no idea salsa could be green.
- ) I did not know what tomatillos even were!
These little green cousins of tomatoes are incredibly delicious, and in my opinion make a better salsa in many cases!
Take it up a level by grilling these tomatillos to enhance the flavor.
And really, the rest of your flavors are your standard salsa ingredients. And feel free to add as much heat as you’d like!
Serve it up with some homemade chips and you will have a crowd pleaser for any get together!
Cook and Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serves: 6-8 people
- 5-6 Tomatillos, halved
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, diced
- 1 clove Garlic,
- ½ Red Onion, chopped
- 1 Lime, juiced
- ¼ cup Cilantro
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp. Red Chili Flakes or Chili Powder (optional)
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- (Optional) Set a pan (ideally a grill pan) to medium heat. Add 1 tsp. olive oil. Once hot, add the tomatillos face-down. Cook until caramelized slightly, 2-4 minutes, depending on size. Then, remove them from heat.
- Place all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.