Spaghetti Squash & Black Bean “Meatballs”
Cook and Prep Time: 50 minutes
• 1 Spaghetti Squash, halved lengthwise, seeds removed
• 1 large can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
• 1 large can Tomato Puree or Sauce
• 2 cups Oat Flour
• 1 Yellow Onion, diced
• 1 head Garlic, minced
• Salt, to taste
• Black Pepper, to taste
• 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
• 1 tbsp. Onion powder
• 1 tbsp. Tamari
• 2 tsp. Oregano
• 2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
• Olive Oil
• Chopped Parsley, for garnish
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. Preheat an oven to 375˚F, and line 2 baking trays.
- Remove the seeds from the center of the spaghetti squash. Brush 1 tbsp. olive oil over the inside of the squash, and lay cut-side down on 1 baking tray. Once the oven is hot, place the squash in the oven for 45 minutes, or until the squash is tender. Using a fork, removes squash “noodles,” and place in a bowl until ready to serve.
- Make the meatballs. Set a pot medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tsp. olive oil. Then, and half of the onion and garlic. Sauté until onion is translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic and onion to a large bowl. Combine with black beans, tamari. oat flour, ½ of the paprika, salt, pepper, ½ of the garlic powder, and oregano. With wet hands, combine the mixture and begin to form 1-inch balls. Add balls to the other baking tray. Once finished, add these to the oven, and cook for 20 minutes, until slightly crispy and warmed through.
- Make the sauce. Using the pot from Step 3, set to medium heat. Once hot, add 1 tsp. olive oil. Then, add the rest of the garlic and onion. Sauté until onion is translucent, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes. Then, add tomato puree. Bring mixture to a boil, then cover, and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until desired thickness is reached, at least 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then, season with salt, pepper, onion powder, and the remainder of the paprika and garlic powder.
- Add squash noodles to a bowl. Top with sauce and meatballs. Garnish with fresh parsley. Enjoy!