I used to hate tofu. The texture was something that was hard for me to get over.
Even extra-firm tofu was too soft for me.
I spent a lot of time this summer trying to nail down a texture that I really enjoy!
So this baking method is the best I’ve found to this point.
The sauce/spices is totally up to you, but the technique is the same.
Crispy Baked Tofu
Cook and Prep Time: 35 minutes
- 2 blocks Firm or Extra-Firm Tofu, cut into ½ inch blocks
- 2 tbsp. Arrowroot Powder
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 tsp. Salt
- Sauce of your choosing (about 1 cup)
- Press the tofu by wrapping the blocks in paper towels or a clean dish towel. Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, and put something heavy (such as a cast iron pan) on top of that. Let the tofu press for about 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 400˚F. Line 1 baking tray.
- Slice the tofu accordingly. In a bowl, add the tofu, oil, salt, arrowroot powder. Toss to combine, taking care to not break the tofu.
- Place tofu on the baking tray, and bake for 20 minutes. Then, remove the tofu, add the sauce, and stir to combine. Bake for 10 minutes more.
- Serve as desired. Enjoy!