Chickpea-Stuffed Roasted Eggplant
Cook and Prep Time: 65-70 minutes
- 2 Eggplants, sliced ¼ inch thick
- 28oz. Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 28oz. Tomato Puree
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 7-8 cloves Garlic, sliced
- 1 T Garlic Powder
- 1 T Onion Powder
- 1-2 t Dried Oregano
- 1-2 t Dried Thyme
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Arugula Salad
- Rice or Quinoa
- Chopped Parsley
- Nutritional Yeast
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly. Preheat your oven to 400˚F.
- Sprinkle each side of the eggplant slices with salt. Let them sit for 15-20 minutes in a colander. This will release moisture and remove any bitterness. When done, lightly rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
- Make the sauce. Sauté garlic and onion for 5 minutes. Then, add your chickpeas, tomatoes, and spices. Stir to combine and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Place a 1-1 ½ T scoop of the chickpeas to the large end of the eggplant slice and roll it up tightly.
- Add about 1 cup of sauce to the bottom of your baking dish. Place the eggplant rollatini into the baking dish, seam side down, and then continue with all of the remaining eggplant slices. Then, top with the remaining sauce.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve with nutritional yeast and parsley. Enjoy!