Chickpea Harissa Stew
Cook and Prep Time: 35-40 minutes
• 1 28 oz. can Chickpeas, rinsed and drained
• 1 28 oz. can Diced Tomatoes, with juices
• 1-2 cups Vegetable Stock
• 3-4 Carrots, diced
• 1 bunch Kale or Collard Greens, chopped finely
• 5-6 cloves Garlic, sliced
• 1 Yellow Onion, diced
• 1-2 tsp. Fennel Seeds
• 1-2 tsp. Ground Cumin
• 1-2 tsp. Ground Coriander
• 1-2 tsp. Smoked Paprika
• 1 tsp. Ground Turmeric
• 2 tbsp. Harissa Paste (+ more for serving)
• Vegetable Stock or Olive Oil, for sautéing
• Salt, to taste
• Black Pepper, to taste
• Chopped Cilantro, for garnish
• Red Chili Flakes, for garnish (optional)
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a pot to medium heat. Once hot, add onion, celery, and carrots. Cook for 4-5 minutes, until the onion is translucent. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, smoked paprika, fennel seeds. Cook until fragrant, and stir to avoid burning, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, and cook until reduced by ¼.
- Then, add the vegetable stock, chickpeas, and kale. Bring to a simmer, and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Add harissa paste, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with brown rice, quinoa, or couscous. Garnish with cilantro, harissa paste, red chili flakes, and dairy-free yogurt. Enjoy!