I LOVE this Dal Makhani!
Obviously, this is a plant-based version, so we swapped out some ingredients, but kept all the flavor, just in a different way!
This protein and fiber packed dish is great for a quick dinner, an easy meal prep, and great to store in the freezer for a night where you might not have the time to cook!
Super flavorful and nutrient dense!
A must-try in my opinion!
One-Pot Dal Makhani (Lentils Uncooked)
Cook and Prep Time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup Black or French Lentils
- 1 cup Brown Rice, cooked
- 1 small can Kidney Beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small container Coconut Cream
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 1 bunch Scallion Whites, chopped
- 1 head Garlic, minced
- 2 Jalapenos or Chili Peppers, diced (optional)
- 2 tbsp. Tomato Paste
- 5 cups Water or Vegetable Stock
- 2 tbsp. Curry Powder or Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ground Cloves
- 1 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 1 tbsp. Smoked Paprika
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, chopped, for garnish
- Scallion Greens, for garnish
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil or Vegetable stock, for sautéing.
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a large skillet or pot to medium heat. Once hot, add olive oil. Then, add onion, scallion whites, garlic, and chili pepper. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, until onion is translucent, stirring frequently to avoid burning. Add spices (except for garam masala), and stir to combine, cooking for 1 minute more.
- Add lentils and water. Cook open, for about 15 minutes, until lentils are tender. Add more water if needed.
- Add tomato paste, coconut cream, and kidney beans. Stir to combine, and cook for 5-8 more minutes, until flavors have combined. Then, add the garam masala, and cook for 1 more minute, stirring to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve over brown rice, and garnish with fresh cilantro. Enjoy!