No oil AND packed with flavor?
I know what you’re thinking.
Probably as skeptical as I look in this picture! But yes you can make dishes without oil still packed to the brim with nutrition.
As a home cook, this was one of the hardest things for me to wrap my head around.
But in my opinion, the more flexible you can be, the better cook you become. So keep it fresh with this no-oil sweet potato stew!
No Oil Sweet Potato & Spinach Stew
Cook and Prep Time: 35 minutes
- 1 ½ lb. Sweet Potatoes, chopped finely
- 1 large can Cannellini Beans
- 1 bunch Scallions, chopped
- 1 Yellow Onion, diced
- 3-4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 6-8 oz. Cremini Mushrooms, chopped
- 8 oz. Spinach, chopped
- 2 cups of Vegetable Stock, for steaming
- 2 tbsp. Tamari
- 1 tbsp. Curry Powder
- 2 cans Diced Tomatoes, with juices
- Vegetable Stock, for sautéing
- Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- Lime, for garnish
- Chopped Cilantro, to garnish
- Rinse and chop the produce accordingly.
- Set a large pan or skillet to medium-high heat. Once hot, add the scallions, white onion, and garlic. Cook for 3-4 minutes, until onion has softened, adding vegetable stock as needed.
- Add the mushrooms, and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until softened.
- Then, add the sweet and the vegetable stock. Cover, and let steam for about 10 minutes, until softened.
- Once softened, add beans and toss to combine, 2-3 minutes. Add spinach and cook until wilted, about 1-2 minutes more. Add tamari and curry powder, and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with alone or with brown rice. Garnish fresh herbs and a lime wedge. Enjoy!